The Irish Pony Club is a voluntary organisation consisting of over 3,000 active members in 58 clubs,arranged into 9 separate areas or regions across the country.
The mission of the Pony Club is to promote and encourage horsemanship, citizenship and loyalty in a safe and fun atmosphere for all its members and volunteers.
The Louth Hunt Pony Club was started in 1949 by the late Doris Filgate, and was said to be the third branch of the Pony Club in Ireland. Subscription at that time was 25d – that’s old pennies for all you young things.
The first camp was in Milestown in 1952 and cost one pound and ten shillings! Mini camp started in about 1967 in Stephenstown, Dundalk.
We also have the proud distinction that one of our founder members, the late Billy McKeever, became Chairman of the Irish Pony Club, and we have had great success over the years at all Pony Club competitions.
The Louth Hunt Pony Club is affiliated to the Irish Pony Club and fully supports its aims. Full details from www.irishponyclub.ie
The Irish Pony Club is committed to providing a safe and fair environment for all members. Our first priority is the welfare of Members and we are committed to providing an environment, which will allow participants to perform to their best ability, free from bullying and intimidation. The Irish Pony Club also has a duty to care for volunteers working with young people on behalf of the organisation.
The Structure of a Pony Club Branch
The branch is run by a committee which is elected annually, headed up by the District Commissioner. He or She is helped in the work of running the branch by an Assistant Commissioner, a Treasurer, a Secretary and the other committee members, who are normally parents of current members.